Friday, May 2, 2014

Day 31, Chemo Round 1 :: Home, At Last

Happiness is... waking up this morning with knees in my back and breath in my ears.  After thirty-one days in the oncology unit, Jade is finally getting a break from treatment and my babies are up to their usual antics of waking me prematurely.

The doctors decided to let Jade come home after her ANC tripled overnight to 330 -- shocking just about everyone.  Sure, there was a little bit of a scramble to make sure our home visitation nurse was secured, medical supplies delivered, prescriptions filled, but those are very small things. WE ARE HOME! (I wish I could have captured Jade's shrieking and running up and down the halls when we told her that she was going home, but I was too busy questioning what the doctors were telling me - is it normal to see the ANC take such a big jump overnight, do healthy neutrophils reproduce that quickly, would she still need a double dose of the growth factor before discharge, etc?)

Jade is still at high risk for infection (a normal ANC is in the 1500 range), so we won't be heading out to the library, scheduling play dates, worshiping as a family at church, or anything like that.  But, we will be very happy home-bodies. 

We head back on Tuesday for a bone marrow biopsy to see how well the chemotherapy worked (relapsed acute myeloid leukemia is typically harder to treat) and find out our readmit date.  Until then, we'll just enjoy being in our space and undoubtedly in each other's spaces.

Thank you for your continued prayers for Jade... for a cure. Cancer is a beast.

2 comments:

  1. After a week of mourning two others it's hugely uplifting to see this news - even if you're essentially complete strangers to us.

    Congrads on the milestone. May there be many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay encouraged. I know how much easier it is to say that than do, so I even hesitated to type the words. But do. Stay encouraged, Sean.

      Delete