Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Days 5, 6, 7; Chemo Round 3: Flashes of Hope

Jade finished up her infusions Tuesday morning at 6am. No more chemo this round; we just wait for her counts to drop and then recover. This usually takes Jade about 3 weeks.  The IV fluids have been discontinued so Jade is able to roam about freely, the seemingly acidic eye drops will be discontinued tomorrow morning.

Jade had the opportunity to participate in a portrait shoot today with Flashes of Hope, a non-profit organization dedicated to creating powerful, uplifting portraits of children fighting cancer and other life-threatening illnesses.  (www.flashesofhope.org) This is at least the second time they've visited the unit since Jade was admitted in January. They give all patients on the floor the option of having a professional portrait package done....

I remember before the winter holidays regretting not yet having any formal pictures of Jade taken, not yet having sat for a family photo. I've always loved how photographs, portraits can capture a moment.  The family photo albums that our Aunt Lilly used to bring out whenever family and friends visited were special treasures; a few years ago I was able to convince my mother to pass one down to me and let me bring it to my new home in Maryland.  While I still have to work on the family photo, I am very thankful for Flashes of Hope -- for their professionalism, their gift for working with children, and for helping us document Jade's bravery and journey in such a beautiful way.

I've shared some photos from Jade's first Flashes of Hope photo shoot back on Feb. 28th; can't wait to see our mother/daughter portraits from today.  Thanks for checking in on us; I pray the rest of our stay is uneventful.



No comments:

Post a Comment