Thursday, March 15, 2012

Day 14, Chemo Round 2


Flying the coop...
It wasn't even two years ago when Jade was born and we brought her home from Civista Medical Center. It was unseasonably warm... actually it was hot. We pulled into the driveway, hit the garage door opener, and, with Jade tucked safely in her car seat, started to walk through the garage into the house.  I was tired, to say the least, anxious about our new baby, but super excited to have my mom and father there to help us welcome Baby Jade home.  I thought we were just going to stroll in; it even looked like my mom was opening the door for us. I saw her head come around the cracked door, and then I heard, "You better bring that baby through the front door!"

I thought it was sweet and ridiculous all at the same time, but I turned around to walk out of the garage -- past the bikes and scooters, the boxes and tools -- and to the front door. I carried Jade across the threshold. "Welcome home."

I got choked up driving in to the office one morning last month thinking about what Jade's first homecoming after her leukemia diagnosis would be like. I remembered bringing her home that very first time after she was born. She was coming home through the front door after recovering from chemo... no doubt in my mind. I got choked up again this evening as I drove home with Lil Jay, who wishes "hospitals would change the rules so brothers can stay overnight with parents," and thought about bringing Jade home again and living together as a complete family... Today was another day at an ANC of 0.. but thank God one more day closer to recovery!

2 comments:

  1. Dean & Sharon ElskeMarch 16, 2012 at 12:07 AM

    We are the great aunt and great uncle of Charlotte Elske....and we wish to add our prayers for your precious Jade. May God bless Jade and her family on this journey. Our little Charlotte is doing just wonderful and our prayer is that you will see this with Jade. God Bless!
    Dean & Sharon Elske

    ReplyDelete
  2. Immeasurable courage, never before seen dedication, unlimited love and uncompromising faith are the initial impressions I have of this wonderful testimony of triumph. Just reading of the daily battles and recognizing the fight, assures me of the strength that the Creator is capable of providing and sustaining. May GOD continue to bless Jade and family, and may you all continue to be ambassadors of love who deliver care, compassion and comfort to Jade as she battles on. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete