Thursday, March 8, 2012

Days 5 & 6, Chemo Round 2

I've not interacted with very many families on the unit... partly because of my quiet personality, but mostly because I'm not ready. Even through the cordial smiles and "good mornings," there is an underlying fragility that has its way of surfacing in parents of a child with cancer or blood disorder -- in the eyes, voices, mannerisms. I was a "big softie" before, as Jaytoe would say, and now... well, depending on the day my emotions could be described anywhere on the range from fragile to wreck.

While I've been at the hospital, there have been two code blues on the unit.  First you hear the announcement over the intercom. Then you hear the sounds of sneakers, crocs, and heels as nurses and doctors run to the patient's room.  There wasn't a code blue last night, but when I returned to the hospital from a brief meeting there were between 25 and 35 family members and friends spilling out of the room next door, the room we had occupied during Jade's first admission. There wasn't good news for the brave soul next door.  I said a prayer for the family and held Jade as close and as long as I could last night. This round of chemo has thankfully been uneventful.  No fevers, no vomiting or diarrhea, no allergic reactions -- and she's completing day 6 as I type this post! Her spirits are remarkably high right now; she is such a joy to be with.  I cherish each of the moments we have with her, Little Jay... I hate that this cancer can be so unpredictable, that life can be so tenuous.

This morning, the room next door is empty and being readied for the next patient...  Please continue to pray for Jade and all the little people who are courageously fighting caner. Thanks for your love and support.






No comments:

Post a Comment